Kitchen renovation, Uncategorized

IKEA kitchen… Part 2

Well the hundreds of boxes have finally arrived, I say finally because this is the third time they were meant to be delivered… I guess three times really is lucky.

I began with IKEA itself being very impressive organizing my kitchen plan service as I live outside of the area they cover for this service, I have nothing but praise for the people who organized me being allowed to use this service.  The planning company are extremely efficient and I was very impressed with the level of in home service they provided, but I’m afraid that is where my praise has to end, I contacted my allocated planner several times after he left my house with minor changes to my plan, at first he was quick to respond back but misread a couple of my changes and got it wrong, which was fine, but then when I contacted him again to correct the mistakes he took longer to reply, the final time I contacted him he didn’t reply at all until IKEA itself got involved, in the end I gave up and went direct to the IKEA kitchen department in the store to order my kitchen, I was on a time crunch due to the 15% off offer IKEA had been offering, I had 30 days to order the kitchen from the day the planner came into my home.

Make no mistake ordering a kitchen in IKEA is very time consuming, I allowed 2 hours, but in reality it took 5 hours in total, I had taken Florrie and Tate with me, which was a big mistake, I was totally bored and they were bouncing off the walls in the end… The guys in the kitchen department were extremely nice but there was a bit of conflicting information that caused me some confusion in the end, but it was sorted out and the 252 boxes were ordered, or so I thought as I headed towards the exit door and the home delivery department.  Almost but not quite out of the door, I hit another obstacle as I entered into home delivery to merge my two orders for delivery.  There was a line of two people waiting, not bad I thought to myself, but I was wrong, there was no one serving, the IKEA employee was no where to be seen for at least 15 minutes, when she did appear she was rude and had a ‘don’t care’ attitude, after another 15 minutes it was discovered that I had missed paying for a couple of items and the delivery charge… Which for some reason she seemed to think was my fault…  What, how could 5 hours in the kitchen department mean that they had missed this even after I checked that all charges were on the order… $285 later I was finally free to leave, the sun had come out, there was a slight breeze and we were going to be stuck in traffic at 5pm on a Friday trying to get home, without traffic IKEA is a 50 minute drive from our home… Fun, two tired children and traffic… Get that wine ready for when I get home.
The delivery date was set for May 21st, we cleared our garage ready for the boxes to arrive… I went to the dentist and when I got home Paul took me to the garage to show me my kitchen… Well five small drawer front boxes sat in the middle of the garage, that was all that came… Whilst trying to contact the delivery company, I got another call from dispatch telling me the kitchen was not delivered as some boxes were damaged, she informed me she would contact IKEA and call me later in the day with a new delivery day… Four days later, no return phone call, no new delivery date, I call them back to be told I need to call IKEA myself and tell them about the boxes being damaged… 1 hour later I finally speak to someone in kitchen after sales department, she has no idea the kitchen was not delivered, she doesn’t know about the damaged boxes, but assures me she will get this sorted out, and in fairness she did call me back later in the day, she tells me part of my order is being sent to a different town as the home delivery girl in IKEA got my address wrong, she tells me everything has been changed and delivery is set for the coming Saturday and that I should expect a call from the delivery company on Friday confirming a time.  Fast forward to Friday, no phone call comes through, so first thing Saturday I contact the delivery company… Yes you guessed it, I’m not on the delivery schedule for that day… Really!  30 minutes later I finally manage to leave a message at the kitchen after sales department, four hours later they call me back, telling me the kitchen was not ready for delivery that day, so maybe I imagined the conversation I had had with Ruby earlier in the week, anyway a new day was set for delivery, Memorial Day between 10am and 2pm and guess what… This time it arrived, but before they delivered the boxes I got a phone call confirming my address as they couldn’t get the GPS to recognize my address, it turns out they were trying to deliver to the address the home delivery girl got completely wrong, someone almost got a nice new kitchen in Clifton… Paul said the delivery guys were really nice, they organized the boxes ready for installation, let’s hope they are all here.

Demo day arrived finally, something I’ve been waiting for for two years. ..we demo’d our own kitchen so of course it went very smoothly… Ha, ha! We had a gas leak from an old dodgy gas cable at the back of the stove, the water pipe valves were so old and rusty we couldn’t shut off the water without shutting off the main water in the house, a night with no hot water, our regular plumber on vacation, 3 non returned new plumber phone calls later,  $300 later we have our water up and running again, but there are water pipes running through a wall in the pantry that is meant to be being demolished… All in all a good start to this kitchen renovation, I’m already feeling the stress… LOL!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s